Captain’s advice: Tag Your Music on Facebook as a Product
Facebook continues to be one of the most important platforms for artists to promote their music to a worldwide audience. For a while now there has been a (still quite unknown) feature on Facebook which can help you effectively offer your music as download or streams: Tagging your music as a product on your page.
This article will show you how to tag your music on Facebook in order to redirect your fans into the stores where they can buy or stream your work. All you need is your own Facebook artist page.
Tag your music on Facebook as a product – How to:
(As of March 2017. The steps outlined below can change in the course of time since Facebook is being continuously updated and improved)
1. First you need to add a shop to your page. Click “settings” in the upper right corner, then on “Edit Page” and then “Add a Tab” at the bottom. Click on “Add Tab” next to “Shop” and you’re done.
2. Next, go back to the main page of your Facebook page. You should now be able to see the word “Shop” in the left side menu. Facebook might even prompt you to accept their Commerce Product Merchant Agreement in order to use your shop.
3. Next, you need to add products to your shop. Click on “Add Product” and follow the steps. In the top left corner you can upload the cover image of your release. In the “Name” field enter the release title and artist name. In the “price” field you enter the retail price your release has in the one specific store you want to link. If, for example, you want to direct your fans to iTunes to buy your release, enter the iTunes retail price. If you want to send your fans to Spotify to stream the release there, you can enter 0.00€ in the field. Make sure you enter the correct link that leads to your release in the store in the “Checkout URL” field – more specifically, enter the link that leads directly to your release instead of the front page of the store.
4. The moment you share your next post on your Facebook page you can easily tag the products saved in the shop. For this, your post needs a picture. After the upload you simply click the photo and click on “Tag Products”.
5. Done: This is what it will finally look like on your Facebook page: