YouTube goes short videos: Hello YouTube Shorts!
YouTube’s latest feature is now also available in Germany and Austria
Social media is fast, social media is interactive and content on social media platforms has to be one thing above all: quick to consume. Video giant YouTube is meeting this need with the “YouTube Shorts” feature, now available in Germany. The goal? Detailed storytelling and easily accessible entertainment which combines all the advantages of short videos with YouTube’s reach.
The target group for the short video format is the same as YouTube’s target group: everyone. Every user is able to create and publish content. All you need is a smartphone and a brilliant idea – then off you go! The focus on vertical content makes it clear that the target device in most cases is the smartphone. With Shorts, YouTube has created a format that is more than equal to popular video platforms such as Instagram or TikTok.
How do I create a video?
- Tap the create icon (+) in the centre of the home page of your mobile YouTube app (an up-to-date version of the app is needed).
- In the submenu, select “Create a short video” – this will take you to the shorts camera.
- And that’s it! Now you can bring your idea to life. Another option is to upload a pre-existing video. This option is also shown to you here.
- Now all you need to do is select the file you want to upload. We recommend you add all relevant meta data, including #shorts in the title or the description – this gives you a better chance of your shorts being recommended on YouTube.
Which countries is YouTube Shorts available in?
In recent months, the function has been available in 26 countries, including in the USA and Switzerland. From the middle of July other countries can look forward to access including Germany and Austria. In times of short videos this feature helps the latest social media hype to get out of the starting blocks.
What are the creative possibilities offered by the format?
As you have probably already guessed, YouTube Shorts is about more than just recording videos. Just like with TikTok and the others, you can use certain tools to give your content the finishing touches creatively. Among other things, you can:
- Add audio: you can use the “Audio Picker” to choose and adjust the sound for your video.
- Edit the video: this function offers you lots of options for editing your video. For example, you can add text, change the speed or set a timer.
- Re-invent sounds: you can use audio samples from your favourite YouTube video, add them to your Short or even re-mix them.
Exciting new possibilities with a trusted platform. We are excited to see what the first Shorts trends will be in Germany – perhaps you’ll be setting them?!